Weekend Wrap-Up 10/25

0
Phew! What a weekend.

all right, i am tired so i am not fooling with this uppercase/lowercase mess. i like typing in all lowercase, so that's what we are doing today.

i was so excited all last week. izzy would be taking her first art class with her buddy chloe.
art class had a rough start. we got there about 15 minutes late because i decided to take the highway instead the secondary roads.
then we pulled up to the rec center. oh no! parallel parking!!!! :( :(
I should have my husband write a guest post on the dangers of letting me parallel park a car.

i shimmy my way into a space, grab the kid out of her seat and off we go. Now....which entrance? Finally 20 minutes into class we get our smocks on and settle in for some finger painting.

IMG_4678b

izzy wasn't really into the finger painting. i think she was too excited by all the other children. these were all new faces and she want meet every one. Most of the painting you see there is from me. She's more of a crayons and markers type of kid anyway.

next up was glue sticks and tissue paper. izzy loooooved glue sticking.
IMG_4687b


I tried to help at first to show her what to do. she shoved away my hand and whined 'noooo mommy! i do it!'  i am pretty sure glue stick was her favorite activity. I might buy a gross and set her down with a ream of paper and let her throw down on some glue stickin'.

After glue sticks we moved on to something a little cleaner, markers.
IMG_4691b

Markers are always a hit with izzy. they are forbidden fruit and she practically drools when she sees any device that contains ink. i can almost see her rubbing her hands together thinking 'excellent. i will ruin the furniture with that.'

mr-burns-picture copy

Chloe and Izzy had a great time in art class and my friend Lindsay and I had a much needed gab-fest. Can't wait to do it again next week!

● ● 

After art class, it was time for naps. aaaah naps. you are my muse, my lover, my everything. I dread the day when izzy no longer needs naps. Shortly after we woke up, we headed out to my BFF's annual halloween bash. Steph is a country mouse turned city mouse but her family lives on a farm. Every year they hold a huge halloween party with a bonfire and hay rides. There is always really great food and even better desserts. And lets not forget Virginia's jell-o shots. It would be a halloween party without those.

Steph's daughter Maggie was the cutest octopus I've ever seen. Her grandma made her costume from scratch. All they had was a sketch to work from. How impressive is that?
I haven't had a chance to ask Steph if I could share Mag's cuteness with the world - so for now she gets a flower on her cute little face. But I just had to show everyone how happy C was to have a new(ish)born in his hands. The last time he saw Maggie, she was in the NICU all hooked up and he couldn't hold her. (So glad those days are behind us!)


IMG_4692b


Izzy also made a new friend June. June was so adorable in her little ladybug outfit.
IMG_4695


They chased each other (and me) in circles for a good half hour. I was so worried that one of us (me) was going to get too dizzy and throw up.

IMG_4697
This is my sad attempt to get a shot of the bonfire. Izzy was not too impressed with the bonfire. It was a little scary and to quote her 'it burn my eyessssss' even though she was standing about 50 feet away.

I think my favorite part of the evening was the hay ride. We sat back in the wagon and gazed up at the stars. At one point we thought we saw a shooting star. Turns out it was just a spotlight going across the cloudy sky. Oh well...we'll have to make a 'crap ton of money' some other way. (Yes, I specifically wished for a 'crap-ton of money'.)
Izzy entertained herself during the ride by plucking stars out of the sky and putting them in my pocket. She pulled one of the brightest down, put it in my pocket and said 'that for maggie. that her star.'
Gosh that kid just melts my heart sometimes. And after the hay ride was over, she actually remembered that she wanted to give Maggie her star. Unfortunately Maggie was sleeping so her mom had to hold onto it for her.
Have you hung up that star yet, Steph?

● ● 

Sunday was a day that I had been looking forward to for a while. Ikea day. We were getting storage for our bedroom and a kitchen table. We've lived in this house for nearly 4 years and we've never had a kitchen table. Now, we aren't total squatters. We had this bar/island/moving counter top thingy that we ate dinner at sometimes but mostly we sat where ever and izzy was in her high chair. We wanted to get back to family dinners now that izzy didn't really need to be in a high chair.

The day started out like this:

Isn't that cute? I was so excited. What I was feeling was very much akin to the first time I remember  walking into Toys R Us around Christmas time as a child. The world was bright and new. Nothing could go wrong. Even all the evils of the world turned into candy canes and gumdrops in those first few moments in the store.

Then the realization sets in that this adventure won't end as you had imagined. No, I would not be coming home with big boxes wrapped in brightly colored foil paper and garland. No, I would be coming home with a pissed off mom and a week with no TV.

Ikea? Pretty much the same thing. Except I was the pissed off mom and I was using the TV as a babysitter.


Also, I would like to point out how my friend Mark "likes" everything. No matter how happy or miserable I appear to be in my status, Mark "likes" it.

So anyway, Ikea ended pretty much the same way a trip to the toy store at Christmas with a six year old does. With a temper tantrum. Oh yes, there were tears. Many, many, tears.


But in the end, we are happy with the results from all the effort we had to put into our furniture.

This is what we are using for clothing storage in the bedroom. Our house is very small (less than 1,000sq ft) so naturally our bedrooms are small. A traditional dresser isn't really functional for us because its bulky without a lot of storage space.
I still need to get baskets for each cube ($$$$) but i think this will work well for us.
IMG_4722b


And this is the dining table that we bought. I need some cute place mats and a centerpiece for it.
IMG_4721b

The table has two leaves on either side. The main table top (the middle) lifts up and you can pull out each leaf. We still need to get chairs, that just wasn't in the budget at the moment. So for now we have two old chairs covered with black pillow cases to look like they sort of match and one new cheapy chair for izzy to sit in.

You'd think after all of that would have have ordered in for dinner. But that just seemed wrong to me after setting up this nice table. So we had our first official family meal. I made a frozen lasagna which amazingly and thankfully, izzy ate. But it was only after we promised to give her yogurt in exchange.

IMG_4708b

What do you think of this table situation, izzy?

IMG_4712b IMG_4714b

I think she likes it. :)



0 comments: