Thanksblogging

0

Whenever I get down on life, after I allow myself a little pity party, I eat a cookie or two (or ten) and then I count my blessings. Things like my husband and what a good person he is. (Sometimes I have to remind myself of that daily as I pick up his dirty clothes for the millionth time.) Or our daughter, who even on her worst days is the greatest joy I have ever known. Or a sunny day just when you need it after weeks of gloom and rain. Alternately that lazy, rainy day that allows you to do nothing at all. I even count little things like how I am allowed to wear sweats to work every day and no one bats an eyelash. Or finding an awesome pen in the bottom of my purse or fatefully slowing down just before I see a cop on the side of the road.

It may seem silly to give thanks for all those little things. But as I start small and work through my list of all I have to be grateful for the list blossoms. And as I work my way up to being happy about not stepping in dog poop, sail on through finding a ten spot in my wallet I didn't know I had and finally settle in on what a great family I have, I realize that I have so much to be thankful for and not a lot to be sad about. Going through this list may not resolve the issue at hand but it certainly gives me some perspective and brings me back down to Earth a little more clear-headed.

I know, I know. Its all sunshine and rainbows, right? No. I've been through stuff. Stuff that I have every right to be pissed off and sad about. Everyone has stuff to be pissed or sad about. But where is it getting us and really, in a lot of cases, couldn't it be much worse?

Since November is traditionally a month of thanks, I will be creating a list of all the things I am grateful for in my life. I'll list at least one a day but possibly more. Some will be silly, some will be heartfelt, some will mean nothing to anyone but me. But they will all be the things that create joy in my life and keep me moving to the next day. I'd like to encourage you to do the same. If you have a blog, please join the blog hop. If you don't have a blog - well, you should keep a list to reflect on anyway.

Be thankful every day for the little blessings in life!

0 comments: