Fish - the new Xanax

0
We got a new pet a few weeks ago, a fish. I pray this will not be the start of a collection of pocket animals. Izzy and I were at the farmer's market and came upon a woman selling beta fish. I always feel bad for these fish. They sit on shelves in tiny cups until somebody buys them and slops them into a not much larger vase. 

This particular fish though was looking especially pathetic. At the asking price of $2.50, I could not say no. So we paid our 2.50 and another $3 for a shaker of food and home we went. It was only when we got home did I realize I didn't have a larger container for him and into a vase he went. Oh cruel irony. 

I'm happy to report though he has a nice little aquarium now with a plastic coconut tree and everything.
As children do, Izzy gave the fish the most basic name she could think of. Dogs are 'Spot', cats are 'Kitty' and all fish are 'Goldy'. And as all pets do, Goldy does not like me - even though I saved his dumb fish butt from certain death in a dirty dixie cup.

Its true what they say though, fish do bring about a sense of calm - even if its a 'siamese fighting fish'. Izzy can drive me to the brink of madness and all I need to do is watch that fish take a few laps around his plastic tree and I can feel my blood pressure fade to non-emergent numbers.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've been reading this book about rediscovering your creativity and giving yourself permission to be creative. I often find that I tell myself I don't have time to draw and paint and craft and I miss it terribly. Then when I have time, I'm too intimidated by the restrictions I've put on myself to actually create anything. So I'm taking lessons from this book and trying to untrain my brain. This begins with me taking a few minutes every day and quickly sketching something. Last night, while Izzy relaxed after bath time, I stood in the kitchen with my watercolor pencils and sketched Goldy. No erasers, no rulers, no reference photos. Just one sheet of paper, my pencils and fish.



I'm out of practice but at least he is recognizable as a fish! And that's what this is about, getting practice in, challenging myself and most importantly surrendering to the creativity instead of the self doubt. He may not be the most technically correct beta you've ever seen but I enjoyed doodling him and I am pleased with the result.


0 comments: