Recipe | EggNog

0
Eggnog isn't really in my weight loss plan. But I decided that this would be one of my treats this year. But first I wanted to at least try to make it fit into my diet. Over the river and through the woods to Google we go! Which is how I found this great photo that really sums up my relationship with eggnog:


I found a lot of great low-carb recipes. But the one I am try this one wit Egg Beaters. Using raw egg gets me all skeeved out. Egg Beaters are pasteurized, so I'm a little less sguidgy about it.

  • 1 carton (16 oz each) Egg Beaters® Original
  • 1 pkg (3.4 oz each) Sugar Free vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 3-4 Splenda packets

If you want the alcoholic version, add a few shots of rum...or you know, the whole bottle if I'm coming to the party.

For a non-alcoholic version you can use:
  • 1 oz each rum extract
  • 1 oz each vanilla extract
  • water
all to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 quarts fat free half-and-half
  • 2 cups Reddi-wip® Fat Free Dairy Whipped Topping
  1. Whisk together Egg Beaters, pudding mix, sugar, extract and nutmeg with whisk in large bowl until sugar is dissolved and mixture is blended.
  2. Add half-and-half gradually while stirring constantly. Gently stir in Reddi-wip until blended well.
  3. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled. Stir just before serving. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired.
Serves 22 people.

Nutritional values for non-alcoholic version:
Total:Cal: 2097 (yikes!)carbs: 268fat: 3protein: 112fiber: 3Sugar: 170
Per Serving:Cal:  95 (phew! that's better.)carbs:  12fat:  0protein 5fiber:  0Sugar:  8
If I had planned better for this, I would have done a Medifast version of eggnog. But to be honest, it JUST dawned on me how I could have done it. So here it is:



Blend packet with water (following directions on packet) and some ice.

If you'd like a thicker eggnog, use a 1/2 packet of Medifast Vanilla pudding and 1/2 packet of French Vanilla pudding.

If you want to be bad, add a little clear rum. If you want to be good, ignore that last sentence. :)
Supposedly clear rum is carb-free - but since I cannot find any info to back that up, I won't lead you to believe that it is. Rum is made from sugar so common sense tells us that it should have carbs. Can anyone tell me the real deal?

I hope everyone enjoys their treats responsibly this holiday season.

Happy holidays everyone!

And this is for my mom, Edna:
Edna's love of eggnog knew no bounds

0 comments: