Take it off | Week 38: I am thankful

0


It seems all too appropriate that my first 5k, a goal I didn't even know I had, would be during a time of giving thanks. Because I am thankful. I'm thankful for this program, this opportunity, this new life and my renewed health. Most of all I am thankful for the community that I've found with this new life.

When I decided to start running, there was no great inspiration, epiphany or inspirational quote that made me want to get up and run. I would have been fine to ease along on this program and let the diet do the work. But really, how is that making a change? How would that help me maintain my goal weight? So I knew I needed to suck it up and exercise but I really didn't want to pay for a gym. I have sneakers - I guess I better start pounding the pavement. 

I knew if I was going to stick with this, I had to make it public. Boy oh boy I was kicking myself for that. As soon as I told a few people, and then a few more, that question started coming. 

'Did you sign up for a race?'

Uhhh....what? HELL NO.

But I decided to take the accountability to the next level. I told my dietitian Jen that I was doing the C25k and she immediately volunteered to meet up with me and do a 5k. Then my friends Amanda and Alison got on board as well. Week by week people on Twitter and Facebook cheered me on as I ticked off the C25k sessions. People offered advice and encouragement when I tried to convince myself that this just wasn't for me.

Finally the big day came and as I made the hour drive to Towson to meet my friends it felt like someone else was driving my car. Someone else was meeting these people and doing this race. Then when I was just about seven miles from the race and I came back to myself. I got a giant knot in my stomach and was sure that I would get a case of the runner's craps before I even got my bib because holy shit I am doing this. I am running a race....with other people.

Long story short: I kicked that 5k's ass. 

Here we are, just getting started. I was surprised to see Christian and Izzy in the stands. We had come separately and I knew he would be there. But I got the impression he would be late. It was a nice surprise to see them waving to us from the stands.


This wasn't easy. I was used to running around my neighborhood. I had a fantastic cheering squad coaching me along and I really don't know if I could have done it without Jen and Amanda. There were lots of steep hills that I think I might have given up on and walked had they not been there. 

I did have to stop once around mile two to catch my breath. I probably took the hill a little too quickly. And honestly I think the issue was more mental than physical. As I got near the top of this hill I knew I was going to have to walk. I started to get mad at myself for needing to stop and panicking about it a little. I tried to keep going but I couldn't catch my breath and by the time I stopped it felt like my throat was closing up. After a few deep breaths and a couple yards of walking, we all started running again. I made it to the end without stopping again. 

On the way back into the stadium I had the additional surprise of seeing one of my closest friends, Kiely, standing at the entrance. I nearly had a Gump moment when I saw her and had to stop myself from running over to hug her. 

My chip time was 35 minutes and 55 seconds. Not the 34 minutes I had hoped for but better than the 36 minutes I would have settled for. 


I am so thankful for my husband, Izzy and the friends that came out to support me. I wish I could really express how much it means to me. These ladies have been some of my biggest cheerleaders and I am proud to call them my friends. Even when I didn't have complete faith in myself, the faith they have in me fills in the gaps and keeps me going. 

I'm also thankful for all of you - the people on Twitter, Facebook and my readers. Your kind comments and words of encouragement were in my ears on Sunday. Thank you for taking the time to cheer me on. I hope I can return the favor one day.

This will be a day that I reflect upon often with pride, joy and gratitude and it will not be forgotten any time soon. Thank you for helping me achieve this goal.

• • •
Much to my surprise I am down a whopping 3lbs this week! Woo hoo! With the holiday coming up, I won't be looking for those big numbers next week. But I'm going to do what I can to come close. I'm making the meal this year and my poor guests....they have no idea what they are in for. Everyone will be getting a holiday version of Lean & Green! I know, I'm terrible.
I'm also going to throw some extra miles in there to safeguard against anything that accidentally falls into my mouth. ;)

So...I need to pick a new goal. Another 5k? Something completely different?

Oh and don't forget! Just a few hours left to try and win my Medifast giveaway! The winner will be announced tomorrow...whenever I get around to it. I promise, I will try to make it before noon (EST).

Month One: -16 lbs
Month Two: -5 lbs
Month Three: -6 lbs
Month Four: -6 lbs
Month Five: -6 lbs
Month Six: -8.5 lbs
Month Seven: -7.5 lbs
Month Eight: -5 lbs
Month Nine: -2 lbs
Week thirty seven: -1 lbs
Week thirty seven: -3 lbs (wowza!)

Total: 66 lbs gone forever!
Current weight: 174 lbs
Distance from goal: 34 lbs!!

If you're interested in trying Medifast, I have a great deal for you! Use the code TURNIP50 to get $50 off an order of $275.
*FTC Disclosure: Medifast provides their products for my personal use for free. I am not paid or compensated in any other way for mentioning their products. All thoughts written here are mine. I love complaining so I would tell you if I didn't like something in the program. :)

~*Stephanie aka Goober Monkey*~
~*Jenni aka Jenni From the Blog*~
~*Tiffany aka Momnom*~
~*Eileen aka Bringing Up Bronwyn*~
~*Laura akaWho you are is Enough*~

0 comments: