Take it off | Week 44: And so we begin again

0



Last year I began the year with a non-resolution. I was of the opinion that resolutions just create undue pressure on situations that are probably already terribly stressful. 

This year I am of the opinion that the non-resolution is for the lazy, the unmotivated and those that are too scared of failure to make a true commitment to change.

Harsh? Yes. 

Here's where you can start hating me because this is going to be some tough love - on me and you. If 2012 Kelly could have sent a letter to 2011 Kelly, it probably would have gone something like this:

Dear Kelly,

You are lazy, unmotivated and worst of all, you are a coward. You are so afraid to fail that you wont even try and that is just shameful. I'm proud of you that you've learned to love yourself at every size but this is madness. You are killing yourself. What good is your mental health if you are not around to enjoy it?
We are talking about overcoming obesity, saving your life and setting a good example for your child. I'd rather tell you that you are lazy and scared and pray that you have a moment of clarity than to watch you kill yourself with food.
We don't live in a world where there is a perfect weight. We do however live in a world where people can find optimal health at a variety of weights. But morbidly obese is not one of those weights.
No doubt you are beautiful, smart, funny, lovely and wonderful human being. And its for all those reasons that you should take action and make a resolution.
Make a commitment.
Grow a pair and resolve to change.
Love, a better version of you  

I don't blame anyone for not resolving to make a change until they are ready. I think this is a decision that people need to come to in their own time. However, looking back on that post and knowing how us fat folks think, if you made a non-resolution yesterday to maybe, sorta kinda lose weight (or quit smoking, drinking, nose picking, whatever) you are being lazy, you are scared and you're being sorta selfish.

Do you even know what you are scared of? I sure didn't at the time but I knew that I was scared to confront my obesity. But when I finally got the courage to make a real change, that courage grew.  The bravery that I already had was multiplied by the awareness that I really can overcome anything.  I was getting to know the me that was buried under all that fear. Fear of change, fear of failure, fear of others opinions on the changes I was making, in time it all just fell away.

Eventually it became less about losing weight and more about gaining something else: Me.

Since I can't send future you back in time to talk to present you, this is my letter to you:

Dear Friend,
I like you a lot. I want you to be around for a long time. You are beautiful, smart, funny, lovely and wonderful human being. And its for all those reasons that I want you to find it in yourself to take action and make a resolution. I will love you at a size 2, 10 or 20 or where ever you land on the scale. But I want you to be healthy. Your family needs you to be healthy.
Losing weight and making changes is scary and overwhelming. Do it for the ones that love you, but more importantly do it for you. I promise that I will be here to cheer you on through the good and the bad. I'll even wear a cheer outfit and use pom poms if that's what it takes to get you moving.
Goal by goal, discover the person you have been hiding under all that fear. The freedom that follows is your reward and something you will never regret choosing to work towards. I know you have the courage in you to make this change.
Love, me - some one that's been there, 
gets it and knows you have what it takes to change
• • • • •
So what are my resolutions? Well I haven't made any...yet. I'm trying to decided what I'd like to do. Because if I said 'lose weight' y'all might chase me through town with pitchforks. So I am going to take some time to think about it because I want to choose something big.
As for my progress, I am down two more pounds this week. Yay! This week was so great, I was really back in the groove and I am looking forward to getting to goal. I've been looking for more races to run when the weather warms up and I'm thinking about how I'd like to expand my fitness and maintenance goals.

I'm also super excited to introduce you to the newest Medifast bloggers!
~*Stephanie at A Grande Life*~ 
~*Alison at O My Family*~
~*Jessica at The Unemployed Mom*~
~*Mariana at The Domestic Buzz*~

I hope you will show them all the love and support you have been so kind to give me over the last 44 weeks. They are all very excited to start this journey and take charge of their health!

Happy New Year everyone! Here's to overcoming our fears, challenging ourselves, climbing some mountains and taking charge of our health.


Month One: -16 lbs
Month Two: -5 lbs
Month Three: -6 lbs
Month Four: -6 lbs
Month Five: -6 lbs
Month Six: -8.5 lbs
Month Seven: -7.5 lbs
Month Eight: -5 lbs
Month Nine: -2 lbs
Month Ten: -5 lbs
Week forty one: -2
Week forty two: -2
Week forty three: -0
Week forty four: -2  (and seriously people, I've been spelling 'forty' wrong for like three weeks now and no one said anything? sheesh.)

Total: 73 lbs gone forever!
Current weight: 167 lbs
Distance from goal: 27 lbs!!

If you're interested in trying Medifast, I have a great deal for you! Use the code TURNIP56 to get $50 off an order of $275.


Check out Medifast's new customer savings program

*FTC Disclosure: Medifast provides their products for my personal use for free. I am not paid or compensated in any other way for mentioning their products. All thoughts written here are mine. I love complaining so I would tell you if I didn't like something in the program. :)

~*Stephanie at A Grande Life*~ 

~*Jenni at Jenni From the Blog*~
~*Stephanie at Goober Monkey*~
~*Alison at O My Family*~
~*Jessica at The Unemployed Mom*~
~*Mariana at The Domestic Buzz*~

0 comments: